Welcome to Quality of Life Blog - a place to learn how to live as a Christian

Everything from trusting God to how to pray.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

One Greater than the temple

"When I was a servant in Rosemary Lane......Image via WikipediaOne Greater than the temple
NICODEMUS Your disciples pick heads of grain on the Sabbath, this is unlawful.

JESUS Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions ate the consecrated bread - which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. Or haven’t you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent? I tell you that one greater than the temple is here. If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.

NICODEMUS Teacher, I don’t fully understand what you mean to be born again. How can I do this? I will follow you wherever you go.

JESUS Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head. Come follow me and learn.

NICODEMUS Well then, how can I respond to your invitation?

JESUS A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many quests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited. Come, for everything is now ready.

JESUS (CONT’D) But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.

JESUS (CONT’D) Another said, I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.

JESUS (CONT’D) Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.

JESUS (CONT’D) The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.

JESUS (CONT’D) Sir, the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.’

JESUS (CONT’D) Then the master told his servant, Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.

NICODEMUS Can we reject our salvation?

JESUS Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will acknowledge him before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

JESUS (CONT’D) When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches a way what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path.

JESUS (CONT’D) The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he last only a short time when trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away.

JESUS (CONT’D) The one who receive the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.

JESUS (CONT’D) But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.

JESUS (CONT’D) I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the words I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

JESUS (CONT’D) I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man does not remain in me and I in him, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you.

JESUS (CONT’D) This is to my Father’s glory that you bear much fruit, showing yourself to be my disciples.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment