Welcome to Quality of Life Blog - a place to learn how to live as a Christian

Everything from trusting God to how to pray.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Comfort those in trouble

Coronación de la Virgen, óleo sobre lienzo. 17...Image via WikipediaComfort those in trouble
Comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. - II Corinthians 1:4


After Elsie Larson’s mother died, her siblings and she comforted one another sharing family memories. To her great surprise she discovered that Mom had not told them about our sister Lois’ near-death experience. So that year, in her Christmas card to her niece Judy, Lois’ daughter, she included a note to tell her about it.

While in the hospital with pneumonia, Lois’ heart had stopped. Doctors successfully stimulated it. When Lois opened her eyes she said, “I have seen God and he’s promised I will no longer have to suffer from my illness.” Lois had myesthenia gravis, a disease that had weakened her for years. Although her lungs continued to fill with fluid, she felt no need for the oxygen at her bedside. Exhilarated, Lois lived one more day. She couldn’t stop talking about her visit with God. And then she peacefully slipped away.

As it turned out, Judy, too, had not heard this story. She still tells me, several years later, “Aunt Elsie, I keep your note in my Bible and read it often. It comforts me.”

Elsie can understand that comfort because she, too, receive reassurance every day from Lois’ near-death encounter with God. On good days and bad days, I think we all need to be reminded that we have a brighter life awaiting us with God. Just as He promised.

Heavenly Father, thank You for glimpses of You from the other side and that we will be with You some day in eternity. Amen.


(2 Samuel 22:21-25)"The Lord rewards me because I do what is right; he blesses me because I am innocent; I have obeyed the law of the Lord; I have not turned away from my God.  I have observed all his laws; I have not turned away from my God.  I have observed all his laws; I have not disobeyed his commands.  He knows that I am faultless, that I have kept myself from doing wrong.

"And so he rewards me because I do what is right, because he knows I am innocent."

Just as there is a passing over from earth's childhood (school, graduation, puberty, parental independence, etc).  In order to pass over to Heaven and our reward,  we must go through death, submission to God and the other aspects covered in these subjects.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment